Still struggling in East Devon to find builders, roofers etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Myself and other new retired new owners who moved here knowing the places needed TLC are still struggling to get tradesmen in the area to quote for doing small and medium building and roofing jobs. We thought we had bagged a roofer and he was all smiley, quoted for the job and said he'd order the materials and would be in touch in the next good spell of weather. We had two days of good sunshine and no rain and we've not heard a dickey bird in weeks. Man opposite is an aging builder who didnt want to do his squaring of off a raised entrance and stairs and move the porch further along where it is flat and level -he is now despairing and thinking of trying to get someone from his home town of Manchester! He was quoted a ridiculous price something like £65000 and would have to wait till September. My neighbour said the traders who came kept asking if he was doing this 'to let' the place? No he isnt he is in rented accommodation paying high rent until he can make the bought bungalow ready to live in. Can anyone who is a builder please explain why they are asking this question about buying to let and what difference does it make? Is there a right or wrong answer?

Sponsored Links
The industry is experiencing a lack of qualified and experienced workers, due to years of under investment in recruitment and training. Plus a reliance on cheap inexperienced foreign labour.

So as the older generation are retiring, and the disillusioned having left due to cheap unskilled labour undercutting prices and customers demanding ever cheaper quotes, the remaining builders are busy and the dregs are even busier cherry picking the easy and most profitable work.

TBH you should be complaining to your MP instead.

Hi Woody thanks for replying and i have taken that on board but with an urgent roof job needing doing writing to my MP isnt going to plug the leak if we have more heavy rain. I will eventually write to my MP describing how difficult it is to get builders and roofers -even our home building insurance RIAS have not been able to recommend a builder who can do the repair. )o:

Last edited:
. My neighbour said the traders who came kept asking if he was doing this 'to let' the place? No he isnt he is in rented accommodation paying high rent until he can make the bought bungalow ready to live in. Can anyone who is a builder please explain why they are asking this question about buying to let and what difference does it make? Is there a right or wrong answer?
It means they ( builders) want a slice of the lucrative BTL that probably means their children have no hope of living in the West Country. Maybe if your neighbour told them his situation some of them might do the job, or at least get 3 of them to quote.

Sponsored Links
My husband was brought up a few miles from here and went to school primary and secondary nearby so although he wasnt born here he does count as a local and we are getting the same brush off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back