Advice about fittings under shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have the following under a shower I've just had to remove as plumbing was poorly done and leaked.

The black part of the pipe is 40mm diameter, which will run into a standard shower trap. I believe the black 40mm pipe has been "wedged" inside the waste coming from the floor (white element visible).

I really need a flexible waste due to the awkward positioning created - just wanted to make sure this would be the correct fixing to accept a the 40mm black pipe.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-..._pSIWIPdE2JPl8MlRyH9B84HGovHSzJ6JAaAktI8P8HAQ

IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG

Sorry if this is unclear, but I've tried my best to explain!

Sponsored Links
All I'll say is if you are using a flexible connection then use McAlpine.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-flexcon2-flexible-connector-white-40-x/43713

I'd maybe be inclined to stick an elbow on that black pipe and see if you can use rigid pipe on it or connect the flexconn to that. It would be better not trying to make a flexible connector go through such a tight bend from horizontal to vertical.

thanks for the advice! I current have a rigid elbow style join - was trying to avoid chasing out more of the floor, but might be the best route as you suggest. Main issue is that the hole in the shower tray is marginally to the right of that pipe so an elbow throws it too far. Then I've got the lovely job of mortaring the thing back in place and trying not to damage the tiles. What a fun weekend ahead.

Is the shower tray waste hole in the centre of the tray or in the corner? I take it's the former? If so and you can rigid pipe it then you want to orient the elbow so it is pointing away from the shower trap and then using the flexiconn, connect it with as wide a radius on the bend as possible.

Sponsored Links
Superb - sounds good. Will give it a go. Final question - when I was using a compression style fitting for that black piece of pipe it was just pulling off / pushing on reasonable easily. Is this the norm? Obviously once installed it won't be under any stress, but just interested to understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back