Advice about plasterboards, screws, finishing etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a lot of water damage in the house earlier this year and it has dried out now. Half of the ceilings fell or were taken down to allow the house to dry. The other half has artex on them.

I need advise regarding some decisions:

1) Should I use tapered enge plasterboard and dry line it myself OR should I fix sqare edged plasterboards and get them plastered by a professional?

2) The joists are 450mm apart, what should be the thickness of plasterboards? The existing ones are 9.5mm

3) What should be the size of screws if I go for 9.5mm or 12.5mm thickness plasterboards.

4) Achieving the same kind of artex is going to be difficult. Is it feasible to stick wallpaper on new and existing boards to achive the same finish for all the ceilings.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would get square edged plasterboard and get a plasterer to skim it over,, ceiling finished the same day. If you're planning to tape the joints, then go for the tapered edges.
Nowadays, especially on ceilings, 12.5mm plasterboard is used,,, "not" the 9.5mm. Size of drywall screws,,, 40mm will be fine.
I wouldn't even bother trying to match artex,,,, it's awful stuff, you can't beat a plain painted plastered ceiling.

Sponsored Links
@roughcaster, thanks for the advice.

@JMLanders - It all happened because the aqualisa pump was not secured to base by their own engineer. The valves holding the pipe were seperated into 2 parts - the collar was still on the pipes while the rest of the valve was on pump. Aqaulisa blames on freezing. Expert report blames on Aqaulisa. Insurance company is platying around with fact that the house was empty for more than 30 days. Forensic expert assigned by insurance company is supposed to come back with report this week. And I am preparing for the worst while the fight goes on.

Forensic expert assigned by insurance company is supposed to come back with report this week. And I am preparing for the worst while the fight goes on.

You have my sympathies! Does not sound much fun. :(

I'm assuming you're waiting for the verdict before doing anything yourself?
If the report comes back favourably, surely the insurance co would get people in to sort it all for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back