Advice appreciated on two separate problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
As the title suggests we have a couple of problems with our house (built approx 1914).

The most serious is a damp problem below the front downstairs bay window, the damp seems to be penetrating as it appears in an area on the interior wall immediately below the sill and stretches downwards from there. I have checked for any obvious places of entry on the outside wall, (the bay is constructed of stone sills and uprights with wooden frames inset) I have dug out any signs of wood rot in the frame and refilled, have checked and resealed the frame/stone joints with mastic etc. but the problem persists. The outer wall is rendered and painted (looks like pebbledash but with larger stones) Could it be that water is getting behind the render? if so would there need to be obvious cracks or visible signs of damage to the render?

Second problem relates to a stone step. The house has an open porch with a stone step at the front edge leading into a tiled porch. With time, the stone step has worn down so the level of the step slopes down from the front edge to the point where it joins the tiled area. This causes water to lodge and form a puddle. Is there any material I could use to build up the level of the step again (ideally retaining the look of original stone if possible) or does the step really need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered

Sponsored Links
For the bay probelm, water is not likely to get through render.

Ingress will be will be at joints/junctions of different materials or via the stone or timber becoming pervious.

Sand or lime stone will become more porous over time.

What you need to check is whether this dampness comes in fast or slow after periods of rain, and if its after all types of rain or just heavy, directional or prolonged rain.

For the step, use a cement slurry with a bit of sharp sand. Normal cement if this stone is grey, white cement and yellow sand (and maybe yellow dye) if this stone is buff. And texture the surface with a fine brush

Thanks Woody,

If it is the stonework that has become porous, what is the best way of remedying this? I should have said that the stonework is painted with masonry paint

Sponsored Links
If painted, then the stone is unlikely to be porous.

So you need to check the junction of the timber frames and stone surround, and the timber frame joints. Check all around the frame.

Also make sure that any painted surfaces are intact

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back