ADVICE: cleaning matt porcelain tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i dont have the box to give more info but know i bought matt porcelain tiles...

after a while of the builder laying them, i wasnt really happy at how patchy and dirty they started to look to be honest. but i would just mop as often as i could and accept it. been around 1 year now.

but now a couple of weeks ago, i laid some "event carpet" across my kitchen floor as i had a lot of people over and didn't want them to get ruined.

the back (rubbery black type) part of this carpet actually got stuck on the tile - and stained it when event was over and i peeled it up.

its actually made the tile lighter.....like the original colour however! would love to know how as this is the colour id like them to be :D

anyway i guess what i am asking is how can i get my tiles all one colour and looking clean / lighter again.

i was under the (false?) impression porcelain does not stain! which is why i bought these.
i also wish i bought polished and not matt now, as they look more "sealed" and protected against all these constant marks and discolourations. at the moment im very upset at my stained tiles across whole kitchen.

FYI this is the tile cleaner i use:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Ltp-Porcela...VDkkZCh3taAAhEAQYAyABEgLn5fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

but doesnt clean anything to be honest. even if i scrub really really hard.

Sponsored Links
here is a pic of the stained patches on tile, as well as an unused tile laid on top so you can see original colour.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 238
they look like they should have been sealed after laying. The old fashioned method of testing is pour some red wine on leave for 20 minutes and if it stains the tile they should be sealed.
Have a look at the LTP or LG cleaners and sealers. A diluted ammonia solution might sort those tiles.

sorry i did not know they needed sealing. i thought that was the point of matt tiles. you dont have that polished look :(

so if we move on from the fact that i did not seal them - how can i get these cleaned up? the stains i have are lighter.....so surely that means there is a way of getting them cleaned?

i used one LTP product already......
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Ltp-Porcela...&utm_content=deeplink&utm_campaign=DIYnot.com

what is annoying is that i thought procelain tiles are not meant to stain anyway.....!

Sponsored Links
well if that hasn't worked, time to up the ante and try something harsher like grimex. you can seal them with an impregnating sealer which won't leave a gloss finish.
If the stains have penetrated the tile though they may be in for good.

the thing is how can it penetrate through? its porcelain....

happy to try another solution - like grimex.....any guidelines on using?

Porcelain like other ceramics or stones has to a certain degree a grain which unless sealed can allow liquids to penetrate it unless it's glazed

Last edited:
I now have been given 3 tile cleaners by the tiling retailer.....if anybody has used any of the above and can suggestion anything for my problem please let me know :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back