Advice for a new concrete garage floor

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The garage floor in my 1930s house is quite worn, and some parts are very rough. There is a photo below, but it is quite hard to show how worn it is. I would like to have a smooth garage floor, the kind often seen in American garages. Like most households in the UK we do not store our car in the garage - it's mainly storage and somewhere I can do the odd jobs for round the house.

Could someone let me know what the process is for re-concreting the floor? And what kind of trade should I search for to do this kind of a job? Does the existing floor need to be dug up, or can a new smooth thin layer be applied? Any advice would be appreciated. (To be clear, this is not something I expect to do myself - but I don't even know where to find the right person for the job.)

Sponsored Links
Rather than "re-concrete" it might be better to put a layer on the top to smooth it off.

This could be a proprietary product such as a self leveling compound or a thin screed product. If a self leveling compound, it should be suitable for wearing, as many are not and are for internal floors not garage floors.

A general builder might be the person to do this but it depends on his skill level. A floor screeder might be better, and plasterers (proper plasterers not board skimmers) traditionally do screeding too.

Ensure its all cleaned off first of all dust and loose bits, else the coating will fail.

Spec something like
Clear off all dust and loose material
Infill deep holes with 3:1 sand/cement
Apply primer sealer
Apply leveling coat

Then it would be best to paint it with a garage floor paint.

Search for proprietary self leveling compound or thin screed products. Something that will do up to 30/40/50 mm not just the normal 5mm or so.

If you was DIYing, then I'd suggest a sand cement mix with SBR. But builders might not want to do this as it's a bit non-standard and they might not want to guarantee it - but those that know will do it.

(Edited for spelling, so it makes a bit more sense)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Exactly what I was looking for. Very informative. Thank you so much Woody!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back