Advice for blocking off internal window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone :)

I'm looking to block off an internal window so would appreciate some advice if anyone can help.

Currently I live in an extended bungalow and there was a window between the bathroom and en-suite which I've now removed. I want to install a shower so plan to close off and tile the window on the bathroom side and use the alcove on the en-suite side for shelving.

I will be doing the work myself as I've installed a couple of kitchens in my time and I'm happy with tiling but have never built a wall. I was thinking either closing it off with a studd wall or by using aerated blocks and then tank it and tile over the top. The bath sits under the current window opening although this is going to be replaced.

I did consider using breeze blocks but not sure about cutting them/lugging them around on my own.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
20180604_170801.jpg 20180604_170825.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just build a frame around the edge and one vertical stud in the centre - 3 or 4x2. Two fixings in each side will do.

Set the frame in to allow for the plasterboard and skim finish. You'll need two frames for that thickness of the wall, or consider a recess on the bathroom side which will loook nice and be useful.

Use 12.5 mm plaster board, or something like hardibacker cement board for the bathroom side if its going to get wet. You wont need to skim the bathroom side if its being tiled.

Great, thanks for the advice. Should I remove the existing plaster inside the window opening to fit the frame?

You wont need to, just remember that the fixings need to be a bit longer to go through the plaster and into the wall - at least 40mm into the brick/block should do for this

Sponsored Links
Should I remove the existing plaster inside the window opening to fit the frame?
We always do, yes. The recessed side not so, but where you intend to finish flush, deffo. Its more about removing the existing corner beads as these can show through and cause problems when you skim. We always chop the reveal plastering off before fixing any timbers as it can be difficult once the plaster (and bead) becomes trapped behind the studs.

I left the sill in as it was embedded in the wall at either end, is that going to cause a problem? :-s

It was previously hidden behind tiles. I was planning to tanking over the top and tiling bath to ceiling. I also have a thermostatic mixer shower to chase and plumb in and a concreted toilet to rip out and replace so loads to do!

Here's a pic before I ripped out the window and tiling. The paint is being a bugger to get off but luckily the majority of the plaster is in really good condition.

20180529_153116.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back