Advice for Lowering Bedroom Celing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We have a bedroom with high ceiling with no room for insulation above. I want to lower it to bring it inline with the ceiling height in the other rooms and add a nice layer of insulation.

The room is rectangular 3m x 3.5m and has four solid brick walls.

- Do you think I can get away with single timber beams without tying them up to the old beams above?
- Are 100 x 50mm joists suitable?
- How far apart should the joists go?

I am confident I can do this work myself but I wanted to check with some experts before I start.

Sponsored Links
We fix a 100mm x 50mm all around the room perimeter.

We then fix a binder on top of this plate (size depends on span) because you won't get it in after. This is fitted at 90 degrees to the in fill joists.

We then fill in the rest of the ceiling with 100mm x 50mm joists at say 450mm centres to deal with 900 x 1800mm plasterboards.

We then fix all the joists to the ceiling bider making sure the joists are straightened up.

The ceiling bider can then be strapped to the old ceiling above for a bit of extra stiffening if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back