Ceiling weight hanging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I want to hang a 15 pounds chandelier from my ceiling. I cannot hang it directly under the beam because it is not in the center of the room. It is a plaster and lath/straw ceiling and there are smaller joists under the beams 1 x 2.5 inces (see picture from above). Will the smaller joists hold the weight of the chandelier?

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_182158.jpg
    IMG_20201124_182158.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
Could you put a sturdy board across 3 of them and spread the load. Afraid it's impossible to tell from a photo if it'll bear the weight.

Put a 100mm x 50mm timber between the ceiling joists and screw through from either side into the timber.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Could you put a sturdy board across 3 of them and spread the load. Afraid it's impossible to tell from a photo if it'll bear the weight.

I do not have access above the ceiling, the picture is from the next room in which I make a bathroom above.

Though, from below the ceiling, I could add through the plaster two wood screws to better secure the smaller joist under the beams.

The beams are 60cm apart form each other. Under the beams are nailed the smaller joists. So basically, there is a 60 cm of joist length between the two beams.

Last edited:
I do not have access to above the ceiling, the picture is from the next room in which I make a bathroom above.

I'm afraid it would only be a guess then. My guess would be yes, assuming it's going into the wood, but if into the lath and plaster, dodgy.

I'm afraid it would only be a guess then. My guess would be yes, assuming it's going into the wood, but if into the lath and plaster, dodgy.

There is a small opening next to the electric wire hanging from the ceiling. From there I can see the joist from below and the closer beam that seats about 15 cm or 6 inches away. So will manage to attach to the joist a steel eye plate with two screws like the one in the picture. I could also make a small opening to the plaster and drive a screw through the joist to the beam to be sure the joist is well attached to the closer beam.

Attachments

• eye plate.jpg
    eye plate.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 116

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back