Hanging something heavy from joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about getting an inversion table (hangs you upside down by your ankles and stretches your back out), but reckon I could build something to do the job myself. You can get the boots separately (basically strappy things that go round your ankles, each with a big hook that hangs over a bar).

So, what I was thinking was to install a sturdy metal bar, hung at either end from an attachment screwed firmly into a ceiling joist with coachbolts. Think of something you could do chin-ups on, it would be like that.

But then alarm bells started ringing: ceiling joists aren't strong enough to hang a 110kg weight from (55kg each joist), are they? I haven't gone up to the loft to measure them yet (although I should have done before posting)

If a ceiling joist isn't suitable, would a roof joist be strong enough? By this I mean one of the sturdier joists just above the ceiling, that the roof structure is attached to with plates.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Why don't you get a long piece of 2x4 (say 10 feet), screw it across several joists (above them, not below!), and screw your coach bolts into that? Spread the load so to speak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back