Advice for making a bookcase door please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to make a door that looks like a bookcase for my downstairs loo. I'm not an engineer or particularly handy so rather than a full bookcase I want to make something that is light and just looks like a bookcase. I've seen one in a bathroom shop near Guildford called Miscellanea and it looks very effective. My plan is to start with a regular sold pine door and screw some thin ply/ mdf to one side to make it flat. Then I plan to make a frame to fix to that that will be 1 to 2 inches deep and looks like the frame of a bookcase. Then add some 'shelves'. I have been collecting books that either look nice or I have enjoyed reading or have amusing titles, I plan to cut these books(sacrilege I know ) so that I only have the spine plus an inch or two of the book. Then glue all these spines to the mdf tightly packed together. The door will need to open outwards otherwise it will snag on the frame I think.
Any advice or words of warning? When I search the web for making a bookcase door I have only found projects that make a full depth door which is beyond my DIY skills.
Things that I would like help on is - what will be the best way to cut the books? Should I use special hinges? What to use as a handle to pull the door open(a book might get damaged over time)

Sponsored Links
Thank you Richard. I will consider a sliding mitre saw.
Yes I have seen the wallpaper , you can also buy ready made doors, they are both very nice but I want it to have that personal touch

With the weight of all those books, you'll need BIG hinges.

So I'd make the sides quite thick to be able to put big screws into them.

Keep us updated with photos please, sounds like a good idea.

Can you get some plastic ones from Ikea? lol

Sponsored Links
Stage prop books are worth looking into, but as you say you want to personalise it yourself. mitre saw would give you a clean finish but the books may blunt the blade quickly, so a jigsaw could be worth trying (£1 per blade compared to £15ish). If you have access to a drill press you could consider drilling through the books and inserting a length of dowel the length of the shelf and then into the shelf itself, as gluing them might not hold with the cut surface. For the handle, I would either use a plastic prop book that is screwed on, or a decorative bookend that lends it self well to the purpose of a handle. You could also just drill 2" hole in one shelf for a handle.

Also, I agree with the weight thing... this will be really heavy, so be prepared to use at least 3 100mm hinges with 60mm screws. Also consider a castor on the inside leading edge of the door to help with support.

i dont know if the books will cut properly with a slider it may work brilliantly
buuuut the fact the pages would not touch the fence may cause the saw to bind and maybe kick back so be very careful especially if you have never used a slider before

A paper guillotine might be an option, might be able to do a book in three cuts.

And dont forget the opening mechanism.

This absolutely MUST only be done by pulling a book forward. AFAIK its the law lol.
A lever behind it that gets released when the book is pulled - this may even be the hardest bit to do :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back