Advice for painting dark colour up to white ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm how to get the best finishing edge please when putting a dark emulsion colour on the walls going up to a newly painted white ceiling ?

Is it best to use masking tape on the ceiling first, or do you just cut in and follow the join where the ceiling meets the walls ?
My concern with that is that the join, even though it's a new plasterboarded and skimmed ceiling and walls is a little wavy in places there they join

Can anyone advise how to get the best straight edge please ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to spend about £15 on a decent 3" Purdy or Wooster brush.

Then beg/borrow/steal a 500w halogen light on a tripod. Move the light around until it casts a shadow where the cornice meets the wall.

Use that shadow line as the datum for the cutting in line but drop down about 1mm below it. You may need to cut in 2 or 3 times. Thin the paint slightly to help it flow. Try to cover at least 12" at a time. Do not overload the brush with paint.

It takes a little practice but it isn't as difficult as many people think.

My advice would be to spend about £15 on a decent 3" Purdy or Wooster brush.

Then beg/borrow/steal a 500w halogen light on a tripod. Move the light around until it casts a shadow where the cornice meets the wall.

Use that shadow line as the datum for the cutting in line but drop down about 1mm below it. You may need to cut in 2 or 3 times. Thin the paint slightly to help it flow. Try to cover at least 12" at a time. Do not overload the brush with paint.

It takes a little practice but it isn't as difficult as many people think.

Thanks for the reply oops

Luckily, i already have a halogen light on a tripod !
When you say thin the paint, we were advised by Brewers to use Dulux Diamond Matt on the walls
Can this/should this ideally be thinned then and if so, by what percentage please ?

Thanks again

The first coat of Diamond Matt will drag when you apply it. Don't worry though. Further coats will flow more easily over the first coat of DM.

With standard Dulux Trade emulsion, I normally add 5-10% water, you may need to add a bit more with the first coats of the DM.

A even better option would be to add some Floetrol but it isn't cheap. It aids flow without thinning the paint.

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/floetrol/

Sponsored Links
I use paint lid from 10-15 ltr emulsion tubs , cut it in half and you get two disposable painting guards, push tight to ceiling and paint up to it . Being plastic easy to wipe clean .

Get an angled cutting in brush, revelation the first time I did cutting one with one of them. Take your time and practice, you will not get it perfect first time and any over painting can be over painted and done again. Alternatively, get your self some yellow fog masking tape, it has a special paint absorbing edge. Take the time to mask up and then carefully remove the tape while still wet and you will get a perfect edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back