Advice For Plastering Above Window/Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice about the wall above my kitchen window/door.

We are just about to undergo a complete kitchen refit and in the process will need the walls and ceiling completely re-plastering. For this I will get a professional plasterer in but I will want to do most of the preparatory work myself so that the plasterer will just need to do the final coat.

My kitchen window & door has recently been replaced which highlighted the fact that the original was neither square nor installed completely vertical and also the wall above the window is not level and slopes upwards left to right. So now with the new window installed (upright & square) it is apparent that the wall above the window needs lowering by about 20mm on the right side tapering down to nothing on the left.

IMG_1021Scaled.jpg

What I was planning to do fix a straight edge to the wall above to act as a guide and then use basecoat plaster to fill in and level the wall up. I realize I will probably need to go in two stages as 20mm is too much for one coat.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan and, if so, how should I prepare the existing wall to get good adhesion. At the moment it is just old painted plaster.

Many thanks for any advice.

Russell

Sponsored Links
I would say that the first step it to get quotes from a few reommnended tradesmen, and then act on their advice as towhat prep needs doing.

I personally would not like 20mm onto a smooth head, although with WBA or bondit you are probably fine in two coats as you said.

If you could fix a plasterboard to it first, or eml , you would be better - (if it is a metal lintel then a pilot hole and screw ) will do then you could put up the profile and square it up as you suggested.

Get the right man first and then see what he says

I agree with Micilin; what you planning goes beyond basic prep & I would advise you not to do anything until you speak to your chosen spread & he is happy for you to do get involved; you must then follow his instructions explicitly. It may seem like a good way of saving a bit of cash but in reality it won’t make a lot of difference to an experienced spread or save you much if anything & if you get the remedial work wrong, you could well make matters worse rather than better. Personally, I don’t like customers “helping out” unless directly supervised; if your spread does all the remedial work & prep & there is a problem, it can only be his fault; if you do the work & there is a problem, who’s fault do think it’s going to be. ;)

I personally would not like 20mm onto a smooth head, although with WBA or bondit you are probably fine in two coats as you said.

To be honest I wasn't going to plaster straight onto the smooth surface, I was going to break the surface up to provide a better key for the plaster.

However, thanks for your advice, I didn't realize it was that much of an issue. I shall consult a plasterer and see what he recommends.

Thanks again

Russell

Sponsored Links
Hi,

It's taken a while but we have just started the kitchen. As suggested I have got a recommended plasterer in and he is going to take care of the whole lot for me.

So, thank you all for your advice. By following it I have saved myself a lot of work and I know it will be done properly.

Thanks again

Russell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back