Advice for Very low floor to ceiling heights and UFH and new floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our house has low ceilings on the first floor. The max joist (top of joist) to ceiling height is about 2100 mm.
We're putting new floors, so I'm wondering what the best options are for flooring without losing any more ceiling height.
The flooring has to work with UFH with spreader plates as well.

I'm wondering if there's any hope of laying tongue and groove pine boards directly onto the joists, but reading advice on here about pine boards over UFH suggests that's a bad idea.
My partner is not super keen on carpets but maybe I'll have to convince her as I think it might be the best option combined with 18 mm chipboard.
How about engineered wood flooring directly onto the joists? Will noise transfer be a problem?
Anyone got any other advice or suggestions

Sponsored Links
Some hard floors, i spousse solid ones can be direct fixed. The impact noise will be bad with any hard floor, but you could always jam some foam or underlay between the boards and the joists. Wool between the joists in the void would help travel of noise through the void itself.

Thanks.
I'll try to find the thinnest foam/underlay i can and stick that between the joists and final floor. The heat spreader plates will also be placed and fixed between the joists and final floor. Do you think the foam should be above or below the spreader plates?
I plan to fill the joist void with either 75 or 100 mm of Rockwool RWA45. We've got to fit downlights in the joist space as well in some places so I won't be able to completely fill the joist spaces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back