Advice - Hide/Remove Wall Plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to remove some old satellite or TV plates from my lounge and hide where they have been so that I can wallpaper over. How do I go about covering up the hole and securing what is inside? Can you buy plates that are totally flat to the wall or does it have to be filled? Cheers. These are the original plates...

Sponsored Links
You can get blanking plates, they just look like the white plastic plates but no outlets on them, the standard ones will step up and not be flush.
As the points you have shown are not electrical points, I would fill in with bonding plaster and skim over.

Is the wall solid block and plaster, or hollow plasterboard?

Are the cables supplying anything else? If so, you need to connect to maintain continuity.

Are you likely to need the cables in the future? If the boxes are totally flushed into the wall, one solution may be to cut a thin piece of plastic to fit just inside the box, screw to the fixing lugs, then skim and paper over.

This would keep the cables clean, and could easily be chipped out in the future if it was needed again.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the back boxes. You'll be OK if they are modern ones.
If they are old steel boxes, painted black then they will rust leaving a nice brown square mark on your walls.

Best to take the back box out completely, fill the hole with bonding and then finish plaster/fill over.

Per the above, as they are not 230v power cables you will be ok just leaving the cables in the wall. Its best to disconnect the cable at the far end as a short on an aerial cable can cause problems, esp if there is a TV distribution amp somewhere, they don't like short circuits up 'em Mr Mainwairing!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back