Advice Installing Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Need some assistance in the order of installing a bath. My big problem is that the walls are not square, bath is a full size bath which is going to be installed in a corner.

The bath is in the place that it needs to be, a levelled up but i cannot push it onto the wall because the wall is not square, on the long side it touches in places but not all the way and there isnt much i can do about this. On the short side it runs off quite a bit meaning that the corner is more or less touching but then its out a fair bit at the other end (about 23mm)

Now, i can put bath strips onto the bath, this will cover all the gaps on the long side and (although i have not cut them) i think it will cover the big gap at the short end.

The problem i am having at the moment is when i push the bath towards the long side ie against the wall, it hits the wall. I have done this with water in and without and there is still some lateral movement. Not too sure if this is what is supposed to happen.

My next steps are as follows.

1. Glue a batton in at the short end against the wall, this will catch any mastic/sealant from the next step.
2. Squirt a load of mastic/sealant in the gaps and against the bath edge (i am hoping that as well as sealing it for water ingress it will stop the lateral movement.
3. Before the sealant goes off, install the bath strips (I will be cutting these before hand to make sure they fit).

Does this sound about right?

L

Sponsored Links
Photographs are a wonderful invention...

Can you not chop a bit of the wall out where it touches to set the bath into the wall a bit?

A thick bead of silicone such as you're suggesting may take a couple of weeks or more to cure fully. Bath strips are OK but aren't always all they're cracked up to be

As above, I would chase the edges of the Bath into the wall to square it up as much as possible, then apply a silicon bead in the chase grooving

I cant chase it into the wall as there are pipes already chased in at the short end. Not too sure what i can do now. I did buy a plastic angle bit which is about 30mm right angle. I might be able to use this to hide the gap but I am concerned whether silicon bead will stop the lateral movement (I think it will but not too sure),

Sponsored Links
Its a pain but i would get pipes moved (deeper?)and as said above dig bath into wall.You will have trouble sealing if not.
Maybe fit batterns for the bath to sit on then fill gap but big gaps not ideal.

As above, pics are needed - your description and my visualisation might be miles apart.

Bath strips are useless - in my limited experience they eventually come loose, and collect mould and slime and allow water to pass.

What is to stop you rendering, & pulling out the return wall to a true ninety degrees to the long wall?

Codging in just wont do for wet fixtures - codging will sooner or later come back to bite you. eg. thick silicone is weak silicone, so is silicone over silicone.

What is to stop you rendering, & pulling out the return wall to a true ninety degrees to the long wall?.

I'm not a builder or plasterer, and hate doing bathrooms, so don't.
But the above was my immediate thought.

Never heard the word codging, but i will try to use it:)

20151220_100127[1].jpg
20151220_100125_001[1].jpg
20151220_100120[1].jpg
20151220_100116[1].jpg

Here are the pics, you can probably see the gap on the short side, this is my main concern at the moment. Wall is going to be tiled 3/4 of the way up the walls. You might see a bit of timber that I glued to the wall on the short side, this was to 'catch' any flexible filler i put down there.

Have seen much larger gaps than that - looks do-able. Silicone fill between bath and wall, then tile down to bath. Silicone between bath and tiles.

I should imagine the tiles will hide the gap anyway - depends how thick your tiles are.

Wont need a strip one once it's tiled. Use good quality silicone if you want a lasting join, none of your cheap stuff :sneaky: and fill that gap completely to the top.

Still can't understand why you can't chop the wall out to let the bath in a bit and get rid of the gap?

Those taps on the long/wall side can be the stuff of nightmares. At the very least, I hope they're top quality and from a reputable manufacturer who will supply spares in the coming years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back