New Bath Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Ive been attempting to install a bathtub and Ive come across a couple of small problems Im hoping I can get some advice on. So far Ive installed battens flush against 2 walls and placed the bath lip/rim resting on these battens. Having done this Ive noticed 2 problems.
Firstly when I get into the bath because its just resting on the batten the bath tips forward/sideways depending on how you look at it,basically towards the person getting in.
Secondly as you walk along the bath theres a a really annoying squeak as the side of the bath rubs against the wall.
what is the best way to tackle these problems? Ive obviously yet to seal the bath in,but will sealant be strong enough to hold the bath solid to stop it tipping or stop it rubbing against the wall?

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
In addition to the battens you need to adjust the legs so the bath is solid and level

i dont batten baths like that.

i get them level...apply silicone down the sides that go agaist the wall and push it situ. let it go off over night...nice and solid.

u can put some side supports on if required.

screw the feet down ...forget the back feet, to hard to get to

if its a really cheap wobbly bath u might need some wooden supports along the front/corner

Sponsored Links
for extra support I would support with battens on side but normally levelled legs and silicon is sufficient.

Set the bath at the height you need (panel height if fitting one) and fill 1/2 > 3/4 full with water then level along the back edge and both sides. Without doing this it will never sit straight. Make sure it is well supported on at least 4 solid legs (5 if there is a centre one) onto flooring that does not move.
The number of DIY installs I've been to where the flooring the bath was sitting was not firm and level (bowed floorboards etc) is quite surprising
Battens are a matter of choice IMO and can give a nice solid ledge for the bath to be sealed onto. These need to be level to the bath edge to be effective.

for extra support I would support with battens on side but normally levelled legs and silicon is sufficient.

The OP is five years old, I'm guessing it's probably sorted by now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back