Advice - Mains tripping & Overload?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

The topic is kind of a leading question. Let me give sdome background.

The last 2-3 weeks we've had some tripping of our mains electric randomly. Yesterday is occurred when we were just watching TV...nothing else was being plugged in, ramped up, or turned on/off.

today however, in my office, I plugged in my laptop and bang...tripped. I then swapped out the extension cord I was plugging it in to and turned the electrics back on. When I went to plug my computer (not laptop) back in (as I had unplugged that too), they tripped again. So this was on a new extension cord and was a different plug.

I originally thought it was something more sinister, but I'm leaning towards the fact I might just be overloading the socket circuit.

I have a few questions and comments where people are free to put me right...I need all the help I can get :)

1) I have a computer on 24/7, with a number of other 24/7 devices in my office, in addition to the use of laptops and PC's throughout the house. My Office space only has 2 wall mounted sockets, so everything else comes off extension cords (not ideal I know). Total plug count is over 20 at a guess....Can I easily find a way of calculating potential consistent use (amps) and measure that against the circuit rating?

2) If this is an overload, wouldn't the circuit trip, rather than the Mains electric for everything?

3) Any other ideas...yes it could be one of the extension cords, but I'm sitting here with everything plugged back in with no issues. My guess is that a few things kick in consistently and try to consume more than 80% of the circuit draw.....again, I know nothing about electrics really so it's a guess.

4) Yes, I will be getting an electrician in, but I want to get some educated ideas so I can discuss with him on a level (as close as possible).

Sorry for the long post...I just wanted to give some background. Any help greatly appreciated as this is starting to affect my work as well as the rest of the household!

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
First of all, we need to know what exactly the device that keeps tripping is, can you tell us exactly what it says on it, or even better take a picture

Hi Adam,

Do you mean that actual Trip; the trip switch? Or do you mean the device causing it to trip?

If you mean the latter, I can't tell you as it's random.

I very much doubt your coming anywhere close to overloading a socket circuit with some computer equipment in a small home office.

You could probably connect about 10 full PC setups to one 13A plug and not worry the fuse in the plug never mind tripping out the breaker.

Unless your office happens to have lots of electrical heating devices in it then its probably not an overload.

Whats far more likely is that it is infact an RCD thats tripping out, due to an earth fault.

This is why Adam has asked what is tripping. If you take a photo of the consumer unit, indicating which device is tripping out, we'll have a better idea of whats actually going on (or if you cant take a photo, describe exactly the device which trips out, including any writing on it)

Sponsored Links
Aragorn...thanks for the response.

The two pictures attached show the entire consumer unit and the mains trip that is tripping. The circuit breaker to the second from left (Sockets Up and Down) is the circuit that this is on (obviously).

Thanks again for your help...really appreciate this.

Whats far more likely is that it is infact an RCD thats tripping out, due to an earth fault.

This is why Adam has asked what is tripping.
We know:

If this is an overload, wouldn't the circuit trip, rather than the Mains electric for everything?

And it might not be a fault, as such, just accumulated leakage from multiple things with filters, and the only fix might be to split those things over more than one circuit each on an RCBO.

I have a computer on 24/7, with a number of other 24/7 devices in my office, in addition to the use of laptops and PC's throughout the house ... Total plug count is over 20 at a guess
Take a look at the table here: http://www.marcspages.co.uk/pq/3333.htm

With 20 devices you could easily get to the point where you'd only have to give your RCD a funny look for it to trip.

NOOOOOO

RCDs do not trip on overload. They trip on earth leakage. I guess the device at the left hand end with the orangey button is the device that trips?

It is likely that you have a number of devices with mains filters (that'll be TVs, PC, printers etc). Each will cause a level of earth leakage, these may well add up to create a condition that the RCD thinks is a fault.

There may ne a single underlying problem, but you'll need an electrician with the proper test equipment, and a brain, to properly diagnose this.

And you have to be prepared for the fact that the only solution might mean partial rewiring and a new CU.

NOOOOOO

RCDs do not trip on overload. They trip on earth leakage. I guess the device at the left hand end with the orangey button is the device that trips?

It is likely that you have a number of devices with mains filters (that'll be TVs, PC, printers etc). Each will cause a level of earth leakage, these may well add up to create a condition that the RCD thinks is a fault.

There may ne a single underlying problem, but you'll need an electrician with the proper test equipment, and a brain, to properly diagnose this.

Thanks for your input.

That actually makes more sense than an overload, to me anyway. This morning when it tripped the second time, half of my devices in the office were still off from the first trip.

Interesting.

It could be that the water heater is a little shaky. (leaking ha ha).
Is that in use? Turn it off at the dounble pole switch next to the water t ank.

Also the RCD itself may not be working properly. CPN isnt exactly a premium brand :mrgreen:
You'd need the electrician with a brain to test it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back