Advice needed about kitchen floor tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a rented property with a ceramic/porcelain(?) tiled kitchen floor. (See pics.)

The grout is looking quite grubby and cleaning with a steam cleaner seems to have no effect. We are now thinking about re-grouting but don't know where to start. i.e. Is there a special grout we have to use? Does it have to be below the level of the tile surface, and if so by how much?
P1010741.JPG P1010742.JPG P1010743.JPG

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi @conny can you check these are porcelain/ceramic, as they look like natural stone to me. Steam cleaner isnt going to do the grout any good either IMHO.

If its NOT natural stone, there is a product on the market called universeal grout rescue colour and seal. Grout Rescue' colour sealer can restore even the dirtiest, damaged and ugly grout to a new look finish. This process will permanently colour and seal the grout to make the grout look even better than the day it was installed.

Thanks for your reply Lee. They do seem to be natural stone, (they have pitted holes and grooves etc), but because they have a sheen on the surface I thought I may be mistaken and they could be porcelain or ceramic.

Assuming they ARE natural stone what is the best grout to use and would I need to remove all the old grout first?

Sponsored Links
the grout looks a jasmin colour to me, pop into a local tile shop, ask to see there grout colour swatch, they should have a jasmin, see if it matches. It looks like a travertine you have, i bet that using the steam cleaner it has stripped all the sealer off the tiles (travertine like most natural stone requires a maintenance program, deep clean and re seal.

if you do re grout, its likely to go like this again using a steam cleaner. we would advise using a ph neautral cleaner like universeal easy clean for regular cleaning. i would also use a grout protector spray on light colored grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back