Advice needed on new boiler requirement (Worcester FS42CDi & Nest)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently undergoing a renovation of our home, a draughty old detached listed building with single glazing throughout. We have 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 2 sitting rooms. By the time we are done with renovations I expect to have approx 20 radiators throughout the house. I need to check our water pressure but I do not believe it is particularly good and pumps are used to power the shower and hot water at the moment, which are very noisy.

We inherited our current regular condensing hot water boiler, which whilst relatively new, we have been told is under powered for our new needs. Im afraid I dont have the model to hand at the moment. We have an old, small, hot water tank in an airing cupboard which will be replaced for a larger one. Due to the nature of the property I was sold on the Honeywell Evohome system which we have been running since we moved in about 18 months ago. We were attracted by the ability to heat different zones independently, but have been waiting for renovation to complete and radiators to be replaced before implementing it. Unfortunately it has not been the most reliable, nor the easiest to use system since we have had it. In our previous house we had Nest installed and loved its simplicity, though it should be said, it was then wired to a combi boiler. I would happily have another combi if I could be convinced it would do the job of heating the house and supply for 2 simultaneous showers.

With an eye on the future, I am planning the boiler and thermostat combo to install as part of the renovation. Our house gets really cold, so I dont want to be short on power if we need to crank everything up. I had earmarked a Worcester FS 42CDi as a potential for a replacement regaulr boiler, as it would fit neatly into the space where the existing boiler is and the flue outlet would align (else we would likely need listed planning permission to alter). As much as I like the Evohome system, the TRVs are a little clunky for our house and I dont feel overly confident in its reliability. I have read that Worcester boilers are not directly OpenTherm compatible and this is where I need a little guidance.

I am open to other boiler suggestions (needs to be located under a counter in utility room, wall mounted not an option, but doesnt need to be floorstanding as long as serviceable), but assuming I were to proceed with an FS42CDi and a suitable Worcester hot water tank, would anyone be able to advise on suitability of Nest to control heating and hot water? Would I need a "Worcester EasyControl Adapter" to allow the hot water cylinder to be controlled by Nest via OpenTherm?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back