advice needed on solid wood flooring please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've read lots of posts on here which have been very helpful but I'm still confused when it comes to wooden flooring!

We have limited funds for this project so I really want to get this right first time with the right company.

We've had several quotes and picked one company because they were the cheapest and were happy to entertain our metal doorframes ( that's my second question ! ).

We are having the lounge done with 18mm x 120mm T&G brushed and oiled oak and this will sit on our existing floorboards. We are also having the hallway done buy the hall way is currently concrete!

The company in question have said they will prepare existing floor with 3.6mm WBP F/E plywood, latex with any smoothing compound and will prime surface with PVA primer ( assume thats for the concrerte ? ).

This means nothing to a 33 yr old lady and my partner is equally as clueless ( but don't tell him I said that ).

Does above sound correct ??

I am slightly cynical because the company want to lay the floor next week but don't intend on bringing the wood here first and I have read on here a few times that the wood needs to be acclimatised to your home first ???? So I'm wondering why this company don't think we need to do that ?

Any tips or advise on whether this all sounds correct would be gratefully received !

Horrible metal door frames are my next question !

Sorry for the epic !

Zoe

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to be honest. The existing floorboards, ate they fairly level?
How do they intend to install the new wood floor in your lounge? Glueing down I presume? The weakest link will be the latex compound.

Ask them if they can install the floorboards secretly nailed after they install the plywood or if they will consider installing the floor 'floating' on top of foam underlayment and glueing the T&G's.

Definitely have the solid oak floor in your home for a week before they start installing. Essential!

Oh thanks for replying...............I've seen alot of your replies whilst reading up on flooring and you sound very knowledgable. :D

I think our floors in the lounge are pretty good really and seem level to me.
I will find out whether the floor will be nailed or glued and floating......which do you think is better ?

I am very concerned about this company now as we have asked them twice now if we need the wood to be delivered here first and they have said ' no need '......I am pleased you have confirmed that we do need to do that as I have read on here on several posts that its essential.

We don't know that many people locally yet to advise us who is a recommended company. The only guy that does seem to know what he is talking about ( from my limited knowledge ) gave us the dearest quote so maybe that speaks volumes and we should save abit more and go with him?

Oh sorry meant to ask why the 'The weakest link will be the latex compound ' ?

Thanks again for your helpful advise :D

Sponsored Links
When wood works - it will do over the 4 seasons, that's a natural process - it is very strong. Normally this is not a problem, but when there is excessive movement and the latex compound has not bonded properly to the underfloor it will be ripped out.
Latex compounds are best to be avoided, an acrylic compound is better - but dearer. And I still think in your case it is not needed

Remember: value for money and you get what you pay for. ;)

That's great..will take that on board ..thanks for taking the time to respond

Zoe

Wood-You-Like,
is 3.6mm plywood thick enough?
I have been told 6mm is the minimum you should use for a sub floor.

If it is only used to level out slight unevenness, yes (we even use 3mm hardboard sometimes). Make sure the plywood is nailed down firmly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back