solid wood floor-is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First post here and any advice would be really appreciated. We are having 18mm thick 120mm wide solid oak tongue & groove flooring (supplied by a well known reputable company) fitted.

Its being glued down to a new (dry) concrete floor. Went to look at progress yesterday - half of its down. But there are gaps up to 2mm along the length of some of the planks. I assumed that the flooring would be butted up tightly (like the pictures in the catalogue and on the sample in the showroom) with no gaps.

I called the contractor whos fitting it to ask why. He told me the planks are different widths. I went back to check and it looks like he's right. Some are 118mm some 121mm.

This appears to be causing gaps all over the floor.

I have supplied the floor, but not paid for it yet. Going to call the suppliers first thing tomorrow and ask them to come and look at it.

Does it sound like the flooring is a bad batch and needs to go back? Don't know what to do for the best. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I called the contractor whos fitting it to ask why. He told me the planks are different widths. I went back to check and it looks like he's right. Some are 118mm some 121mm.

This appears to be causing gaps all over the floor.
That's the main reason there are gaps all over the floor. Does your floor also have random length, with a lot of short lengths?

Has the supplier had a look yet and so what was the answer?

The supplier has been out for a look this morning. They have agreed its a fault with the floor and will send out a new batch. They will also cover the cost of lifting the bit that was put down.

Cant fault them for the way they have dealt with this. Looks like it will all be taken care of.

It does have a mixture of legnths some quite short up to some over a meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back