Advice needed on when to replace rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice.

We've moved into a house which needs complete redecoration and eventually the replacement of a very old boiler (probably in about two years depending on funds). As we are decorating each room we were also thinking of replacing the radiators (they are being taken off for the re-plastering) but I'm not sure if it would be best to wait until we change the boiler as we could then also flush out the system - the water in them looks pretty filthy. Is there a correct/best order to do this in?

The boiler doesn't have a thermostat and I was thinking about getting Thermostatic valves as well but wasn't sure if it would be better to do it all in one go.

Sponsored Links
I understand your predicament, I did exactly the same thing, my 'solution' was to start decorating as soon as the cold weather stopped and replace each radiator and new pipework but not connect it back into the existing circuit, did this with each room and ended up with 1 old radiator on the boiler. Drain it down, pour in some cleanser, run it for a couple of days (check instruction on cleaner packet) drain and repeat until I was happy it was clean. Then replace the final radiator and connect all of them to the recently cleaned system (also fit magnetic filter)

That's not a bad idea but we aren't going to be able to get the house done before it gets cold again. Would it be damaging if the new rads had the same sludgy water running through? Should I maybe get a powerflush done and then replace the rads one at a time when the rooms get decorated?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back