Advice needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all.

I'm after some help please we recently moved into a semi 3 bed home and I recently went in the loft and noticed the small chimney breast doesn't look supported.

I went to check as I noticed there were no chimney breasts in the rear of the property I've taken some pictures... the chimney is still above roof line shared with next door. This job looks like it was done many years ago but I don't know if supports were needed.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20210816_113515.jpg
    20210816_113515.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210816_113254.jpg
    20210816_113254.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210816_113358.jpg
    20210816_113358.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Is the third picture taken above the ceiling and below the 'unsupported breast?
It looks as though there is some form of rudimentary cross support from the side wall to the first joist. I'm not a builder so can't confirm but it looks a bit iffy to me.
It may stay up for the next 50 years, but then again, it may not.
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to give an opinion/advice.

Hi yes the third picture is below the breast and above the ceiling....yes someone has put some wood under there but there is no pressure on it as it can move... I'm thinking of getting someone to put some gallow brackets underneath but they will need to take some bricks out first I think.

A steel beam may be an alternative to a gallows bracket, you will need an SE to design something appropriate.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Remove the bottom 4 courses and fit gallow brackets and a plate.

A beam spanning the walls is a waste of time and money for such a small load

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back