Advice needed - removing fitted kitchen sideboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided recently to remove what I thought was a free-standing farmhouse-style kitchen sideboard from the flat I inherited from my mum a while ago, only to find it was decidedly not free-standing at all. I am, needless to say, a novice at this sort of thing.

I did some research and had (almost)no issue removing the top cabinets and dish rack, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the bottom section with the worktop to come loose. I removed the skirting around its base and it rests on a series of adjustable black plastic feet that are not visibly fixed to the floor, there are no brackets visible at the back on the underside, and there's no sign of any screws or fixings inside the structure when I take out the drawers and remove the cabinet doors that could be attaching it to the wall. However, it will not move at all, either when trying to lift or to pull it away from the wall.

I had hoped to keep the bottom section intact and move it to another room - am I missing something or is my only option to take the whole thing apart?

Sponsored Links
Is the worktop a loose item if so remove the worktop as it will be often held in by tiles or plaster skim at the wall. Removing the worktop will often revel brackets holding the unit to the wall at the top.
Can you post some pictures?
Work tops are usually held to the units by screws up from the cupboard top bracing bar into the worktop above.

The fittings to the wall may be in the void behind the rear panel only accessible after the top is removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back