Advice needed - Swapping stairs around between 2 walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I need some tips relating to switching my stairs round.

I need to swap my existing stairs around for 2 reasons.
1) We have repositioned the front door, and it is nicer to come into the bottom of the stairs rather than underneath them.
2) I am converting the loft, and having the stairs the other way round will allow me to run a parallel flight up into the loft space.

The problem I have is that the current stairs run up between 2 walls, and they were fitted before the walls were plastered.

Now, I am going to be replacing them rather than re-using the same again, so unless there is a chance of selling them on, I could afford to smash them up to get them out, but will the plaster need to be removed, so that I can get the new ones in.

As it is, I see that I have 2 options.

1) Smash out existing stairs. Make good the gap in the plaster that is left behind. Fit the new stairs in the remaining space.
Or
2) Remove all of the plaster above the existing stairs so that they can be taken out, remove the plaster below. Fit the new stairs between the bare brick walls and re plaster.

Option 2 seems like significantly more work, but is there any advantage in going down that route ?

My main questions are –
1. What is the procedure for getting a new staircase in between existing walls?
2. What clearance is required in order to be able to get them into place?
3. Will the new stairs need to be fixed to the walls, and if so is it OK for those fixings to go through plaster?

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
you need a full width opening top or bottom off the stairs to the outside with enough manoovering room to enter flat because you cannot rotate the stairs in situ because you need about 3" clearence if you can do it without fingers or ropes in the way

New stairs can go in through the front door on their side, lifted up onto the landing.

On the landing they can be rotated to flat, and lowered in from above.

are you keeping in mind a set off stairs at around 42 degrees will be 2/3rds longer when flat
in other words 148" will=246"

Sponsored Links
are you keeping in mind a set off stairs at around 42 degrees will be 2/3rds longer when flat

Also worth considering that if you have an older property, your existing stairs might be steeper than 42 degress, which is the steepest angle you'd be allowed for new stairs, if involving Building Control. Thus it's possible that new stairs would not fit within the same space as old stairs.

Cheers
Richard

Yes I am. There are landings at both ends and along one side which give enough space, and a bedroom door that can be used during the lifting sequence.

Also, the property is 1960's so no problems with changing the angle.
I will measure everything up many more times before committing.

I used to fit and cut them in half & join it again because they forgot to put it in 1st fixing, 32 of them :rolleyes:

If the new position height riser is difference then you're wasting your time :cry:

Guys

3. Will the new stairs need to be fixed to the walls, and if so is it OK for those fixings to go through plaster?

The most important fixings are to the trimmer at the top, and to the floor at the bottom. When I installed my staircase I also put long hammer-in fixings through the stringer (below the treads) into the wall. It's OK to put them through plaster. It all helps.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back