boxing in a beam beside stairs and stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a beam that was fitted many years ago and it has been exposed due to renovation and removal of the hotpress.

This is how it looks at the minute

Im wanting to cover the opening at stairs creating a stud wall and then sheet the underside of the stairs. I had thought about glass bulstrade but its prohibitively expensive.

How best to box the beam (building control werent interested as we didnt fit it) to give it some fire rating and create a wall safe enough for a stair well?

I was thinking, nog out the beam to take the vertical boards then sandwich 2 boards between a timber bolted to the beam then build the stud wall down.

For boarding i was thinking 6mm fire board (1/2hr) then over boarding with 12.5mm fireline plaster board for the stair side and double fireline on the room side and beneath the stairs.

Does this approach sound ok?

cheers Neil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back