Crack underneath stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a vertical crack under the stairs - do I need to get a builder in to look at this or do you think I can fill in the gap with polyfilla and that would work? The render is also blown at the point where the stairs meet the wall so I was thinking I might just plaster over to make it look nice.

pictures are from the cupboard under the stairs. Thanks for the help!
F509A154-A5AC-4EE5-A758-DB48EA53ABF4.jpeg
A271747C-412C-4B9D-8792-3CAFA96595DC.jpeg

Sponsored Links
dabblingindiy, good evening.

Looks like two different walls? one at right angle to the other, and little or no tie in between the two walls, if you can get a very thin strand of wire and see how fat the crack extends inwards?

From the timber in the images, is the property Victorian?

There is the possibility that years of vibration on the stair has assisted this crack opening up?

As an aside, does this crack continue below the timber rail seen in the image posted?

As for repair, Polyfilla should sort out the issue, if your under stair area is like mine, decoration in there is shall I call it infrequent,

Ken.

Thanks Ken, it’s a 1930s house and the last time this area was redecorated was over 5 years ago.

It’s the same wall in both pictures, the crack in the first on the right is what you see more clearly in the second picture. The crack doesn’t continue further below and I think it’s quite likely the stair pressure that’s causing it.

ill give it a go and try filling up the crack, if it reappears I’ll call in help. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody, that’s good to hear. Sure will get a flexible caulk to fill that in. It’s deeper than I thought when I tried to stick a filling knife in but should be ok to fill in.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back