Crack under stairs in 3 floor townhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m a first time buyer and recently bought a 3 storey townhouse. We’re in the process of redecorating and have noticed some cracks underneath the stairs. Our stairs wrap around.

Wondering how is best to fix the cracks in the underside of the stairs?
And how to sort the bit around the centre banister as it looks messy!

Thank you in advance - and hope I make sense!!

Attachments

• IMG_0980.jpeg
    IMG_0980.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0981.jpeg
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0982.jpeg
    IMG_0982.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0983.jpeg
    IMG_0983.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0984.jpeg
    IMG_0984.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Make sure you have matching paint to start, Homebase colour matching is reasonably good. Take out the cracks I.e. enlarge them slightly and fill and sand back using a decent filler like Toupret. Touch up when dry.

Can’t make out the issue with the bannisters

Blup

Make sure you have matching paint to start, Homebase colour matching is reasonably good. Take out the cracks I.e. enlarge them slightly and fill and sand back using a decent filler like Toupret. Touch up when dry.

Can’t make out the issue with the bannisters

Blup
Thank you, that’s what I was hoping the resolution would be - my anxiety tells me the whole house will fall down because of a crack ‍♀️

The banister in image 2 (IMG_0981) where the curved ceiling meets the centre point, it’s cracked and uneven, is this best to just sand back so it’s flat and fill?

Also, is it best to fill the gaps with filler or flexible caulk?

Sponsored Links
Image number 1- rake out and use Toupret Flex and Fill. It is similar to decorators' caulk but has fibres to reinforce it. Like caulk, it will shrink back. The following day fill with Toupret RedLite (know known as Quickfill).

Image 2- try regular caulk, eg Everbuild 125 or Geocel Painter's Mate, you will need a caulking gun though.

Image 3- same as image 1.

Image 4/5- probably just the Toupret Quickfill once you remove the loose/blown plaster.

I am recommending QuickFill because the dust from it will not cling to everything that it comes into contact with. The same cannot be said of most fillers. When you sand it back, the dust can be vacuumed up with ease (and will not clog the bags/filter on your vacuum cleaner). The downside is that it dries slowly. Let it cure overnight before sanding and use 100 grit paper to sand it.

The banister in image 2 (IMG_0981) where the curved ceiling meets the centre point, it’s cracked and uneven, is this best to just sand back so it’s flat and fill?
Yes

Also, is it best to fill the gaps with filler or flexible caulk?
Filler, Screwfix do a good Toupret fine filler, more expensive than the high street names but sand fine and smooth.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back