Stair / step crack underneath window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I viewed a house yesterday and spotted cracking underneath the window - diagonal stair cracks from each corner of the window running down towards the centre (upside down triangle), illustrated in the attached photos. I'd say they have reasonable width (although I wasn't able to measure).

It is a Victorian end-terrace in south Manchester (I'm afraid I'm uncertain of the type of ground or how to find out). I couldn't see any signs of cracking elsewhere. The brickwork directly above and below the window appears to me newer than the rest, if relevant.

Is anyone able to provide an opinion based on these photos? Level of seriousness? My online research is giving mixed results. I recently pulled out of another property purchase following two surveys that scared me enough to walk away so I'm keen for an opinion prior to potentially forking out for another survey.

Many thanks, folks.
IMG_8976.JPG
IMG_8977.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'll offer two opinions based on some experience in this area (cracks, not Manchester)

1. Its ongoing foundation movement - costs thousands to rectify
2. It's historic foundation movement - £27 to point the crack up

My third humble opinion, is that that's as good as you'll get from the internet.

Get a survey done

Hi Woody

Thanks. I wouldn't dream of progressing a purchase without a survey - was just wondering if anything could be determined ahead of said survey. If these types of cracks are telltale signs of something serious, for example, I wouldn't even put in an offer. From what you've said though, they could be, or not! Fair enough.

Have now noticed what appears to be a large horizontal crack in the mortar just where the house meets the ground. Any view on this?

Sponsored Links
No, that could be one of several things too. Something or nothing.

The advice/options you would get as a buyer would be different to that you would get as the homeowner. As a buyer, you need a survey.

We've submitted an offer and a survey will be booked if we're successful. A second viewing revealed this beauty. As before - could be one of many things impossible to diagnose from a photo? This is the inside corner of the house (i.e. outer walls on both sides).
IMG_0934.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back