Open Up Under Stair Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding opening my cupboard under the stairs well more like reduce the cupboard by moving the door toward the back of the cupboard.

I want to remove approximately one metre of brick wall. And want to be sure that it is not a supporting wall for the stairs.

I have attached picture to show the current installation.

Picture 1 shows the wall I want to reduce.

Picture 2 shows the stair stringer from within the cupboard, where it meets with the newel post and I believe is dovetailed into the newel post. Picture 3 and 4 show the top stair from the outside. There is a slight gap where the stringer meets the newel and I believe you can see the dovetail in Picture 4.

Picture 5 shows where the underside of the stairs had been plaster boarded and it appears that the plaster board was attached before the wall was built. I assume if the wall was load bearing, the stinger would have sat directly onto the wall.

I would appreciate any advice and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The wall will not be supporting the staircase. Think of the staircase as a ladder, only at a flatter angle - the sides of the ladder are equivalent to the strings of the staircase.

Hi Tony1851,

Thank you for your response. I thought this was the case.

Kindest regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back