advice needed to cut internal doors down..1 quite severly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am going to replace 4 internal doors..the doors i will be buying are pretty cheap & the hollow type...they will need to be cut down width & heighth to fit..question is..i believe that these cheap type of doors have a batten inside going around the edges of the door..does anyone know the average thickness of that batten ? as one door in particular will need approx 3" taken off the width..so will i be able to take 1 1/2 " off one side and the same off the other side safely ?..also if it is possible..will the following info about a circular saw i will be using enable me to do the job?...........

"extra fine 185mm cutting blade with 48 teeth
maximum cutting depth 64mm at 90 degrees "

or would i need a different saw or blade ?

many many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
not an option i am afraid 12mm max on most doors

dont forget you need at least 25mm of the "frame " for your hinges and locks to screw into

what size are you after!!!

What you need to do is carefully lever the hardboard face from the timber surround, and then refix this timber further back, then glue (or pin as well) the faces back to this and then trim the door to size.

Its easy to do

Typically the bottom timber timber is about 2", the sides 1" and the top one may be 1 or 2"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back