advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to skim a conservatory and saw it before the walls were dry-lined. I've done a search on this site and found the pic of permitted zones for unprotected cables to confirm what I thought,and the diagonal cables were not covered, as isn't the cable at floor level running around three walls, nor the supply cable dropping down the wall. The wiring was done by the owner of the firm who is not a qualified sparky. I told the house owner that they should be protected but the guy argued and said they didn't so I don't know what to do about it. The supply is not connected to the CU yet but he has left the cable next to it. There is a spare way blanked off which he could use but I don't know what he intends fitting. This supply cable is a single 2.5mm so my understanding is that as it is a radial circuit, then it should go from a 20A mcb; or if fitted as a spur from the kitchen ring then it should first go through a 13A FCU. Is that correct?
The other thing I'm not sure about is the wiring to the light and ceiling fan. The cable from the left socket box is 1.5mm so should that first go from a FCU first? I know you wire a fixed appliance from the ring through a FCU but can you also have a FCU from the radial circuit.
The last issue is the outside waterproof socket which is spurred from the right hand socket box and as the CU has 100mA rcd so this socket should have another 30mA rcd protection. Would it be best to wire the whole radial circuit through a FCU 30mA rcd so that would give protection for the diagonal wires if anyone drilled into them?
I'm not happy about all this but what do I do? Is this guy actually breaking the law doing this stuff not to regs and/or not being qualified?
Any advice appreciated so thanks.

1-picture1.jpg

Sponsored Links
this is no specific law on it but if someone got hurt he could easilly be found guilty of negligance

you have four options
1: get on with the plastering and forget about it
2: get on with the plastering and inform the householder later
3: refuse the job and inform the householder
4: refuse the job and keep quiet

shaggy said:
I've been asked to skim a conservatory and saw it before the walls were dry-lined. I've done a search on this site and found the pic of permitted zones for unprotected cables to confirm what I thought,and the diagonal cables were not covered, as isn't the cable at floor level running around three walls, nor the supply cable dropping down the wall. The wiring was done by the owner of the firm who is not a qualified sparky. I told the house owner that they should be protected but the guy argued and said they didn't so I don't know what to do about it.

You could suggest he gets a sparky in before anything else is done - the sparky shouldn't charge for an initial visit.

You could quote the regs at him (522-06-06) or better still print out and give him a copy of "Cables concealed in thin walls or partitions", available on the IEE website: http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/IEE_Thin_walls.pdf but see my comments below about BS 7671.

The supply is not connected to the CU yet but he has left the cable next to it. There is a spare way blanked off which he could use but I don't know what he intends fitting. This supply cable is a single 2.5mm so my understanding is that as it is a radial circuit, then it should go from a 20A mcb; or if fitted as a spur from the kitchen ring then it should first go through a 13A FCU. Is that correct?

Yes.

The other thing I'm not sure about is the wiring to the light and ceiling fan. The cable from the left socket box is 1.5mm so should that first go from a FCU first?

Yes - but it isn't good practice. It would be better to extend the ring to the sockets, then go through a FCU at 5A for the light/fan.

The last issue is the outside waterproof socket which is spurred from the right hand socket box and as the CU has 100mA rcd so this socket should have another 30mA rcd protection. Would it be best to wire the whole radial circuit through a FCU 30mA rcd so that would give protection for the diagonal wires if anyone drilled into them?

522-06-06 doesn't permit protecting concealed cables with an RCD. The other options are:

i) cable which incorporates an earthed metallic covering
ii) insulated concentric cable to BS 4553-1,2 or 3
iii) be enclosed in earthed conduit

Is this guy actually breaking the law doing this stuff not to regs and/or not being qualified?

Nope. Right now, there is no requirement for an installer to be qualified or to do the work to BS 7671 ("the regs"). Right now, it is not illegal to not comply with BS 7671.

I'd suggest that you put something in writing stating that you consider the electrical work to be unsatisfactory and that it may be unsafe and send it to the customer by registered post (or get him to sign a copy which you keep). You then have two options: do the work anyway, or walk away. Either way if something does go wrong you have your back covered and hopefully your insurance premiums won't go up.

--
Michael

Sponsored Links
Thanks to plugwash & Michael(fubar) for replies. Both of you confirm that the guy has not broken the law by this installation which I wasn’t certain of. I’ve considered plugwash’s options and decided to do the job but advised the houseowner what is wrong; also to get a second opinion from a qualified sparky as I’m not qualified myself. I’m one of these guys that does get concerned about safety issues and feel my plastering is contributing to covering up work that isn’t to regs. The plasterboard should be pulled off but I can’t insist on it. Plugwash makes a good point about he could be found negligent if someone was hurt. I expect he knows he can legally do installations but perhaps hadn’t considered that one.
Michael, thanks for the link to the IEE stuff on concealed cables and I have taken your advice and printed that off and left it with the houseowner to give to the guy. I’ve also said that the external socket should have 30mA rcd protection and as a final note advised him to fit grommets in the metal boxes as he hadn’t bothered. I’m sure he will be ****ed off but I will probably never meet him.
When I asked about protecting the circuit with a 30ma rcd I didn’t mean as a substitute for protecting the cables but because the cables are now covered with plasterboard I was thinking of making the best of a bad job. It is possible that someone may fix a screw into the wall and hit the live cable and not the earth so the rcd should protect them. I appreciate what you say about best extending the ring but it’s too late now. The cables are covered and I don’t think he is going to alter them now, so as you say ok to FCU for light switch, although not best practice, then that is perhaps the best option; again making the best of a bad job. Otherwise the 1.5mm cable may only be protected by a 20A mcb if that is what he fits at the CU.
I think I’ve benefited as well, because while on the IEE site I ordered the latest site guide at only £15. The only book I’ve got is ‘Electric wiring-Domestic by AJ Coker 1989. I don’t do wiring for others but do for myself so it’s time I updated.
I am aware of Part P next year and realise that it will be difficult to enforce and be ignored, but after seeing this guys work I can appreciate the need for control over installations; in theory at least!
Thanks again, helpful site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back