dodgy radials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

During an exercise in mapping out and labeling up my house CU I got a bit carried away and started to dig deeper.

Firstly, I discovered that my house is entirely wired in radials, only one MCB has two phase conductors going into it but there is no continuity so I'm assuming either separate radials or a broken ring. The radials are all "protected" by 32A MCB's so my first thought was to get hold of some 16 or 20A MCB's if possible and replace them, does this sound ok?

Secondly, the radial that I inspected today doesn't seem to be great. There are a total of three double sockets on the circuit and an FCU for the boiler. Only one of the sockets has two sets of conductors present so i'm assuming that at least one of the sockets is a spur, i have no idea where the FCU is connected.

The cable which I believe is a spur from the radial runs from upstairs to downstairs and is only 1.5mm², the socket outlet is used for the washing machine in the kitchen.

To protect the cable i'm thinking i'll have to get an FCU in between wherever its spurred from, does this seem the best option?

I would very much like to have the house inspected and rewired, but financially this isn't an option for us at present and we wont be moving any time soon, i'm just hoping to improve safety where possible.

Matt

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you need to find out exactly what circuit each outlet is on. you can do this by switching off mcb's one at a time and testing for voltage at outlets to see if they have switched off, that should give you a rough idea......presume nothing though, you never know whats lurking so prove dead before touching anything.

i would map out what conductors (size) are in each outlet and from where before formulating a plan of how to rectify this......

you say you have 2 conductors from one mcb you think is a ring, are they 2.5mm or 4mm's.....that might tell you a lot.....more investigating required by the sounds of it.

i presume you know about part p......

it sounds like you need to find out exactly what circuit each outlet is on. you can do this by switching off mcb's one at a time and testing for voltage at outlets to see if they have switched off, that should give you a rough idea

Done this already

i would map out what conductors (size) are in each outlet and from where before formulating a plan of how to rectify this......

All conductors in outlets are 2.5mm² other than the washing machine, this makes me think that there must be a JB somewhere under a floor

you say you have 2 conductors from one mcb you think is a ring, are they 2.5mm or 4mm's.....that might tell you a lot.....more investigating required by the sounds of it.

I said either two radials or broken ring, as you say futher investigation is required.

i presume you know about part p......

I do know about part p, but I wasnt sure changing an MCB rating or putting an FCU in line in a bedroom would be notifiable work. I wasnt planning on doing anything until i found the answer to this question

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back