Advice on a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have this ceiling in my little hallway. I'm decorating at the moment and really want to paint it as its badly stained, I have tried washing it and that's made no difference. So I would like some advice on how to do it, can I just roll or brush some normal emulsion on it? Thanks. [/img]

Sponsored Links
It looks like you may have Polystyrene ceiling tiles, unless they are treated with a Fire Retardant, the best advice is to remove them,
There are safer alternatives to making the ceiling good than using those types of tiles these days.

Agree with above they are horrible and extremely flammable, they actually drip when burning. Removal and re-plaster is the best option.
If you do want to re-paint you need to apply a stain block first, depending on the stains ie nicotine?, water? i'd go with coverstain from zinsser followed by two coats of emulsion. Stains will bleed through emulsion in no time at all and you will have wasted your time and money

or u could apply oil based egg shell. it will look flat and block the stain but best bet would to get rid of it or cover it with plaster board

Sponsored Links
Under no circumstance apply an oil based paint to polystyrene tiles, this will increase the fire hazard.

Thank you for all the advice. I didn't even know what they were called! I decided to use the stain block and then painted with emulsion. It seems to have covered the stains. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back