Advice on base for new garden room

Do you have an example?I'd be interested in seeing a video of a build using this method if you know of one.
I posted a link above - easypads

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
There are loads of YouTube videos. Start watching one, a million more will appear in your homepage.

One starting point...

Treat all youtubers with some caution, I've seen these two do things that aren't best practice. Watch a load, pick and choose the best tips.

A proper building will add value to your home. I doubt that a flatpack will, and my guess is that the outlay won't be very different.
Whilst there no doubt a 'building' such as this will add little if anything to the value, you can't have an extension built for £7K + a base.

If you put anything on topsoil, however wondrous and clever, then it will definitely move. Topsoil is constantly evolving - twigs rotting, worms digging, so it's just not suitable for building anything on. This is why all housebuilders dig through it and building regulations insist on it, if they could save a few million nationally by not bothering then I'm sure they would.

Building on topsoil is only suitable for a lightweight shed that doesn't adjoin a building, so movement doesn't matter. Even then you might get a sunken floor in an area that happens to be softer.

Sponsored Links
Whilst there no doubt a 'building' such as this will add little if anything to the value, you can't have an extension built for £7K + a base.
You need to compare like with like. The flatpacks don't include assembly or a base, so they're not comparable to the whole build cost. They're the equivalent of buying the bricks, roof and windows. When all costs are included they're probably pretty equivalent.

I've just bought an entire artic truckload of bricks (20 pallets) for £6000. Way more than would be needed for something like that shown at the start of this thread.

You need to compare like with like. The flatpacks don't include assembly or a base, so they're not comparable to the whole build cost. They're the equivalent of buying the bricks, roof and windows. When all costs are included they're probably pretty equivalent.

I've just bought an entire artic truckload of bricks (20 pallets) for £6000. Way more than would be needed for something like that shown at the start of this thread.
They're supposed to be DIY, the company doesn't offer an install service, they're also supposed to be built on a simple base eg sub-base or existing patio. If you went to the trouble of building conventional foundations and paying for installation it defeats the whole point of them, crap that they are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back