Large garden room/summer house on part paved base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a 3m x 3m concrete base at the bottom of the garden when an old summer house stood when we moved in. We would like to build a more modern style, larger garden room/summer house (self build, styled with the cedar cladding on the outside and bifold doors to the front), but would like it to be 6m wide x 3m deep. Half of it would be built onto top of an old patio, would this be suitable?

was thinking a 6m x 3m concrete base (4" deep) right across the current base and patio?

Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You can do a concrete base, although that's an expensive way to do it compared with a timber base. Are you going to be keeping within permitted development limits on height, or submitting a planning application?

You can do a concrete base, although that's an expensive way to do it compared with a timber base. Are you going to be keeping within permitted development limits on height, or submitting a planning application?

Thanks ivixor, going to stay within permitted development so under 2.5m high. Could i do a timber base straight on top of the current half concrete slab/half paved area? Would the timber base go straight on top, or anything inbetween with a DPM/sheet?

You need to have the timber base elevated so there is ventilation underneath, i'd say 10cm is a good target for the space. For mine I just placed the timber on concrete blocks, with a DPC between them. Where the building exceeds the concrete slab, I'd pour a footing of concrete for the block to rest on. For 6x3m you'd probably end up with 8 blocks around the edges, though this depends on timber size.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

big-all, the whole lower garden area is patio (and the part concrete base thats flush with the patio), do i take that as my ground level? If not, how would i know the natural ground level?

At present, from patio level up i have about 6" of concrete gravel board, then standard 6ft fence panels

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back