Summer house concrete base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a summer house in my garden spanning 7m x 4.6m which should give me internal floor space of 30msq and be as per the permitted development and building regulations.

I am taking this task as a challenge of DIY, and would appreciate some advice. I have currently prepared a sub base and ready to do the concrete slab. However, I am not sure whether I need to reinforce the concrete base with rebars or not.

As the summerhouse will be built out of wood, I am wondering whether it is necessary to have reinforced concrete.

Sponsored Links
I built something similar. A couple of questions:
- do you plan to insulate it so you can use it all year round? Personally, I would. In which case you want a damp proof membrane and poly insulated slab. 100mm of polystyrene and then integrate the DPM in to the walls of the build to keep the water out.

2nd, make sure its not too close to the boundary given its size. I'm assuming you know about those rules?

I built something similar. A couple of questions:
- do you plan to insulate it so you can use it all year round? Personally, I would. In which case you want a damp proof membrane and poly insulated slab. 100mm of polystyrene and then integrate the DPM in to the walls of the build to keep the water out.

2nd, make sure its not too close to the boundary given its size. I'm assuming you know about those rules?
Thank you for your reply, I am going to to putting in DPM and insulating it so I can use it year round.

Also I am building up to 2.5m high roof at the highest point so I can build close to the boundary as well.

It has to be at least 1m from the boundary or constructed substantially of non-combustible materials. This is because you are over 15m2

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind there’s always a degree of guesswork/make up your own method in these garden room builds, if you can afford a couple of sheets of mesh I’d put some in. Not something you can remediate in future. I put it in mine although I did have some leftover from a previous job. Incase it helps, I’ve just done a thread on mine in the My Projects section.
+ agree insulation’s a must

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back