Sub-base for concrete compacting more than anticipated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of constructing a 15 x 11 concrete slab. Will house a 14 x 10 workshop.

Original plan was to have 3" of sub-base (standard MOT type 1 aggregate) and 3" of concrete in a 5:1 ratio.

I have clay soil that is pretty much dry (mostly).

I have laid all the sub-base today and began compacting it, but it's compacting the clay underneath more than anticipated, so now there's a bigger gap in my concrete shuttering than I had originally planned for.

I am not sure how to proceed.

I have 3" of compacted sub-base. Can I just fill the remaining with concrete or would it be best to fill with more sub-base?

Is this a typical feature of clay soils? Unless I was to lay it in the midst of summer in the baking heat there's always a bit of give in clay soil, so am not sure how this is usually done?

Many thanks in advance,

Daz

Sponsored Links
Either. But I'd suggest that 100mm of concrete would be better than 75mm in any case.

Thanks for the reply Woody. No issues with the concrete section being thicker than the MOT section then if I was to just fill the remaining shuttering up to the rim with concrete? I don't know if you need a certain ratio of thicknesses in the levels.

Sponsored Links
There are no ratios.

The hardcore is just a more economical way of filling the gap left by the removal of the soft soil.

But do ensure that you have dug down to a firm layer of the soil. You don't want to be laying the base on soft soil if firmer ground is just a few inches below.

If the ground is the same for a good depth yet, then that will be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back