Advice on boiler and changing heating programmer please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could some of you heating peeps give me some advice please?

I moved in to my house about 6 weeks ago!

I have a gravity-fed system with three-port from an oil fired floor standing boiler which is controlled by a Danfoss programmer ( dont know the model as the front panel is missing!). There is no room stat, so the boiler just cycles on its own stat. There is obviously a cylinder stat.

we have 16 radiators, most with TRVs, although 5 dont!?

I wanted to know whether any, or all, wireless controllers have programs for hot water, or if they are suitable for combis only? I can't find any info on the www.

I want a room stat, but it is going to be difficult to get a cable from the boiler room to where the stat needs to go.

I also can't figure out how the heating system is plumbed. There are four pipes to the boiler, presumably 2 flow and 2 return. One set drop into a solid floor, these have the circulating pump on the flow. The other set rise into the ceiling, the cylinder and three port is in a cupboard almost directly above. Any Ideas?

The boiler is a 'Thermecon'.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a pumped CH (one pair of pipes), gravity HW (other pair). But that would normally have a two port (as in pic) in the HW circuit not a three port.

View media item 11762
If it is a 3 port, please post make and model no and say where all three branches go to.

There is no need to get rid of your Danfoss Programmer; this can be retained to control the hot water - it's usually fit and forget as hot water times are rarely changed.

A wireless programmable thermostat, e.g Honeywell CM927, can then be used for the heating.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Three port Honeywell V4073A. One from boiler, one to cylinder and other to CH.

I wonder if there is a 'through pipe' across the boiler from the three port to the CH flow?

The pump energises on both CH and DHW, separately.

Is there an RF controller that will do both programmes, to save having two controllers?

Thanx

Andy

Thanks for the reply. Three port Honeywell V4073A. One from boiler, one to cylinder and other to CH.
That's a Y Plan system; but it only requires two connections to the boiler. So what do the other ones do?

It sounds as if the system has been converted from gravity to pumped. So the two mystery connections could be the cold feed and the vent. Can you find out?

I wonder if there is a 'through pipe' across the boiler from the three port to the CH flow?
Not sure what you mean :confused: . The 3-port is on the flow.

The pump energises on both CH and DHW, separately.
That's correct for a Y Plan

Is there an RF controller that will do both programmes, to save having two controllers?
I don't know of one. Danfoss sell a wireless control pack for CH and HW but there are separate programmable thermostats for CH and HW. The only bit which is wireless is the connection from the programmer to the boiler control unit. The HW thermostat has to be connected by wire to the sensor on the HW cylinder, so that limits its location.

I have lived with separate programmers for nearly four years and it hasn't caused any problems.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the system has been converted from gravity to pumped. So the two mystery connections could be the cold feed and the vent. Can you find out?
I'll try but there is pipework everywhere up in the cylinder cupboard :rolleyes: My brother-in-law used to be a plumber/heating engineer, he couldn't work it out either! thanks for the info anyway; very helpful :D

I'll buy me a rf stat then and wire it into the heating side only and keep the existing programmer! Next step is sorting out the lectrics; the programmer and boiler feeds are off the upstairs lighting circuit!

Pond

the programmer and boiler feeds are off the upstairs lighting circuit!
That's not good. They should be off the ring main and protected by a 3A fused spur. The lighting circuit is only 5A total.

Come back to this topic if you need more help.

That's not good. They should be off the ring main and protected by a 3A fused spur. The lighting circuit is only 5A total.

Yes, I do know a bit about electrics. Just my heating configuration I'm having trouble with!

Thanks again for the advice with the controller, I shall order one from my favourite screwfix man as soon as I get back from London next week.

coulddn't the Up pair and the Down pair be for upstairs and downstairs radiators?

give them a feel and see when they get hot.

Maybe the upstairs rads and the cyl are both gravity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back