Advice on building a 55 square meter shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am looking to build a 40 x 15ft garden shed, I am going to use this for all sorts of things including a home gym and play area for the kids. I am slightly confused by the building regs and want some advice on what I need to do before I start this project. I am looking to wire the shed up with electric but cant see the need for anything else. I have plenty of garden space i.e. it doesn't take up more than 50% and I have plenty of room with boarders etc.

1. Do I need planning permission?
2. If I need planning permission is it likely to be straight forward?
3. Would putting electric to the shed complicate matters with the PP?
4. How much would PP cost?
5. How long does it take to get PP?
6. If I put a concrete base down would that complicate matters?

Thanks in advance and any other advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm a DIYer, so wait for the pro's to pipe up, but I would say... you want a 13 x 5 metre shed, and have a garden big enough to put it in, then I'm guessing money is not your first concern? If not, I wouldn't scrat around the internet for answers, get someone in to advise and draw up plans... they will know the rules etc.

Are you gonna build it yourself (you are on a DIY site after all).. if so, lots of respect... and if it were me, I'd perhaps get the pro's in to do some of the work, like maybe the concrete, electrics, water?

Just some thoughts..

Good luck!

you will need planning permission for sleeping accommodation
you will need planning permission for the 31square+m part
and probably the height element
the 50% is eroded by any extensions sheds garages decking ect anything thing that covers the 50% land around the original house

Thanks for the replys, I have had a meeting today with a joiner who has gone through everything with me and I am going to hand everything over to him. Not going to be cheap!! Not to worry as i'm sure it'll be worth it. Who knew building a big shed would be such hassle.

Sponsored Links
just remember as the property holder its your responsibility to make sure you have the required permission /meet planning /building regs
you will need to comply with part p for external electrics and again you are responsible for informing building control before commencement installing to standard and paying the fees to have them checked
or employing a part p compliant electrician who will self certify

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back