Advice on building regs for removal of stud wall between kitchen/sitting room in second floor flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be grateful for an opinion on whether we would run into any problems with building/fire regulations for the removal of a wall between the kitchen and living area in a second floor flat, replacing the kitchen along one wall only.

The current layout is almost identical to that shown in the attached image (we would remove the wall between kitchen and living room, and fill in one of the doors).

We've been advised by the freeholder that we would receive permission pending consents and providing the wall is not load-bearing (we have verified that it is not - it is a stud wall only).

The only question is now over fire regulations: I have read some reassuring advice along the lines that because access to the main lobby is not through the kitchen we would be fine, but also alarming advice to the effect that because it is a second floor we would have to install a fire suppression system regardless of the position of e.g. bedrooms relative to the lobby. The block of flats was built in 1997.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 100222_26021338_FLP_02_0000_max_600x600.jpg
    100222_26021338_FLP_02_0000_max_600x600.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 364
Sponsored Links
You should be OK with just a FD30s fire door to the lounge/hall, and an interlinked heat detector in the kitchen area and maybe a smoke detector in the lounge.

Certainly no fire suppression system.

shouldn't be an issue at all, you haven't created any extra risk to either your flat or any of the others either above or below. In fact it could be said that there is a better chance of earlier visual detection from your living room. I can't even see that the works would be notifiable to BC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back