Advice on buying a smoke alarm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I'd better replace our smoke alarm. A battery powered one but I thought you guys would know better than most. I had a look on Screwfix and got a bit bewildered by the choices. It's there anything to look or for? Optical etc or compliant with any particular EN standard. And presumably get two alarms? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Optical alarm in lounge and hallway, heat alarm in kitchen. Mine are fire angel but they seem to have a chequered history

Sponsored Links
I have Aico in my house. I was able to put new ones in an extension a decade after the originals were installed, and they're still compatible.

'Fireangel' are pretty good. Mine are still working after 15 years.
I thought you are suppoed chane them every 10 years
Another vote here for Aico. I had some fitted with an extension as part of regs required hard wired and connected over 10 years ago and so recently replaced them and even after 10 years the bases are the same fitting which made the job very easy and quick as they just slot and clip on

Mine were still working when I replaced them, if I remember I think they were giving out 3 quick beebs which the instructions said they have come to the end of their life span.

Have you had a fire though?

That's the only time that you can recommend any product. I always laugh when I buy insurance from Meerkat, etc and then am asked to give a review on TrustPilot etc. Pointless. The time to recommend is when the product has been tested, in action.

I have installed Aico for the last 25 years, never had a problem. Unlike Kidde and FireAngel.

FireAngel state their product life is 10 years and they should be replaced at that time.
Keep setting fire to the garden.

Have you had a fire though? .... That's the only time that you can recommend any product. ...
If one has knowledge that most/all of a large number of examples of the product have behaved appropriately when faced with a substantial number of actual fires, then that would certainly be a reasonable basic for a recommendation, but ...
I have installed Aico for the last 25 years, never had a problem.
... is that 'recommendation' based on your knowing that most/all of a large number have behaved appropriately in thee face of a substantial number of real fires. If not, you would appear to be contradicting your (reasonable) statement about what should be th basis of a 'recommendation'.

Only one tested in action. Customer with integrated garage that caught on fire. The house was totalled and had to be rebuilt. but they all got out.
IMG_4227.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back