Smoke Alarm + Steam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two Fireangel ST-622 Thermoptek Smoke Alarms, one downstairs and one upstairs.

The one upstairs is on the landing outside the bathroom (as there is no other convenient position for it) and, after having a shower, it has gone off a couple of times, presumably due to the steam from the bathroom. I swapped the smoke alarms over to confirm it wasn't faulty and the problem continued with the other, and the one now upstairs has started going off randomly at other times, so I have had to take it down.

1) Does it seem feasible the the smoke alarm has been permanently damaged by the steam?

2) Would I be better off with a different type of alarm, e.g. an optical or a heat type? I was thinking heat would be less prone to the problem but also probably slower to react in the event of a fire downstairs causing smoke to come up the stairs?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think ionisation alarms are supposed to be more tolerant of steam.

Your "thermoptek" alarm is supposed to measure both temperature and optically, which is supposed to be less prone to false alarms than pure optical alarms. But obviously not perfect.

Sponsored Links
If the location is that much of a problem, note it is not compulsory to put them at the top of the stairs - inside each bedroom is another option.

If you put one in a hotel room right outside the bathroom, and that bathroom has a steam room function, then when you open the bathroom door once steam is up the alarm goes off.

Yup.

What was really worrying was when I immediately phoned reception to tell them that the alarm had been triggered by a sudden steam cloud, they said "what alarm?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back