Stopping smoke alarms going off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so how do all you jobbing plumbers stop smoke alarms going off when you're soldering?

Doing some work in the airing cupboard, directly under a smoke alarm - the smoke alarm works, and it's VERY loud :oops:

Took some pipework downstairs to solder up and the downstairs alarm and the upstairs alarm went off :oops: :oops:

Could take the batteries out and switch of at the consumer unit, but then I'd be working in darkness :D how about a plastic bag and a rubber band?

Simon

Sponsored Links
Ok, so how do all you jobbing plumbers stop smoke alarms going off when you're soldering?

Doing some work in the airing cupboard, directly under a smoke alarm - the smoke alarm works, and it's VERY loud :oops:

Took some pipework downstairs to solder up and the downstairs alarm and the upstairs alarm went off :oops: :oops:

Could take the batteries out and switch of at the consumer unit, but then I'd be working in darkness :D how about a plastic bag and a rubber band?

Simon

At the school where I worked (in the old days when I used to smoke) the caretaker used to stick a disposable rubber glove over the smoke alarm in his hidey hole when we 'took a break'! Quickly removed if anyone 'important' came by!

Sponsored Links
That reminds me of this story:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=58018#58018

Mrs S had just drunk a gallon of water (full bladders, as Dads will know, make for better scans).

So there we were, the whole hospital out on the pavement. Mums busting for a pee!

Hushed whispers between the staff:

"what's happened?"

"smoke alarm went off"

"one of the mum's smoking?"

"no, one of the Dads pulled a glove off one of the alarms"

"which one?"

"him" [points at me]....... :oops:

Dunno what she found harder to comprehend....a glove on the smoke, or one of the Dads pulling it off...!

Just before lunch on Boxing Day and minus 3 degrees outside a 600 bed hospital. I'm there to supervise the pest control operation. All usual safeguards and warnings checked and posted, but didn't consider smoke alarms as he was treating the floor only. Operator starts work; 30 seconds later all alarms sounding in zone. People not happy about going outside. Phoned fire brigade to say don't come (automatic system) but they wouldn't stop. They had to attend. Couldn't turn alarms off for quite some time. How to be popular! Following day it was out with the duct tape.

That reminds me of this story:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=58018#58018

Mrs S had just drunk a gallon of water (full bladders, as Dads will know, make for better scans).

So there we were, the whole hospital out on the pavement. Mums busting for a pee!

Hushed whispers between the staff:

"what's happened?"

"smoke alarm went off"

"one of the mum's smoking?"

"no, one of the Dads pulled a glove off one of the alarms"

"which one?"

"him" [points at me]....... :oops:

Dunno what she found harder to comprehend....a glove on the smoke, or one of the Dads pulling it off...!

But you only did what you were ordered to do. You should have pointed out the nurse!

Yeah, I know. But I felt a bit of a berk, nonetheless!!

Yeah, I know. But I felt a bit of a berk, nonetheless!!

Once booked into a hotel and five minutes later was back at reception asking to see the manager. I gave him the cover I had taken off the smoke alarm in the room and asked him to expalin what it was doing there.

I would not just remove the glove, I would then ask to see the hospital manager and complain - whoever did it should be dismissed as they are putting lives at risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back