Smoke alarm going off when connected to the mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a smoke alarm on the landing ceiling that is mains powered with a battery backup. When I went into the loft to the other day and sat on the floorboard above the smoke alarm it started going off until I moved away.

Then today we replaced the existing floorboards with new ones and removed the excess loft insulation the old ones were resting on - it looked like 270mm squashed down ridiculously tightly and nailed with the longest nails I have ever seen.

When I touched the board above the smoke alarm again it started alarming and the only way I could get it to stop was switch it off at the RCD. The insulated grey cable in the loft from the alarm is undamaged and clipped to the side of a joist. I've pulled the smoke alarm off and checked everything was screwed in and undamaged - everything was fine. Still if I switch it on at the mains it alarms and sets off the downstairs one too (they're linked).

I think it's too unlikely to be a coincidence that removing wads of massively compressed insulation on top of the smoke alarm set it off, but I can't see anything that can be fixed. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong here? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Probably full of dust - use a vacuum cleaner to clean it.
If switching off the power stopped it working, the backup battery is useless and needs to be replaced.

As most/all of them are supposed to beep intermittently when the battery requires replacement, it is likely the whole thing is useless and should be replaced.

The battery is working as if I test it now it works fine. I didn't see any dust when I opened it up but I'll give it a vacuum tomorrow to check if that makes any difference. It's only 6 months old!

Sponsored Links
Only takes a few particles of loft insulation to fall through the cable hole and into the back of the unit to cause a problem. If it still trips after a light vacuuming try a bicycle pump or a can of compressed air to GENTLY blow away any bits you can't get at with the vacuum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back