Advice on cladding garage doors with T&G

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I wonder if you could give me some advice, point out any pitfalls and generally comment.

I have horribly awful garage doors that I would like to clad with tongue and groove in order to match our gate.

Please see the attached photos.

Does anyone see any pitfalls of going down this route?

Thanks a lot

P

Attachments

• 20160218_153914 1.jpg
    20160218_153914 1.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 20160218_153922 1.jpg
    20160218_153922 1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
I don't think I'd clad, but rather renew.....are there any problems with that? Maybe Howdens have something of interest?
John :)

Hiya, yes, Howdens would be a good option but my openings are not standard sizes and I cannot find out how much I can cut the Howdens doors down by. The drive leading up to the doors is also not flat (not my land) and this impacts on the size of the doors.

As a matter of interst, why would you not clad them?

Thanks

P

don't think it will work what clearance do you have between door face and brick pillars when open to 90%
you need around 12mm to fit in the cladding

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
they would only work if you move the hinge forward on the frame by around 40mm or whatever the crank set back is

All that work would leave you with a worn out door still behind the cladding, for the same effort you could replace with clad ply sheets made to measure, no hinge problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back