Advice on damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just bought a 1930 semi, it has some damp on the front bay there is a patch that appears to be from the previous owners having built a flower bed above the DPC I have dug this out and hopefully that will deal with that. I have also cut the ivy that that they had grown in the same area and hope this will start to die off above.

On the blocked up fireplace on the party wall I removed the vents to find the hole full of dust etc... With know draft. I have cleaned this out and can now feel a draft, next to this fireplace there is damp on the wall. Is this due to the fireplace being blocked? Or could it be rising damp? If it is rising damp what are the solutions?

Sponsored Links
Why dont you post photos of inside and outside the front bay area and do the same for the chimney breast area?

Is the bay one or two stories high, and is it a single bay or do you have double bays?
Do you have any more blocked off, or open, fireplaces & flues in the house?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies the damp on the window bay is due to the earth being built up over the damp course, and has been dealt with.

I'm more concerned with the damp on the party wall near the fireplace. Could that be due to the vent where it had been bricked up not being clear? I'll get a photo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back