advice on diy electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found the following at my mother-in-law's house the other day.

A wire (2.5mm2) is plugged into a bedroom socket and leaves the house through the wall. The enclosure on the outside is sound, 2 wires are taken off, one runs across a 3metre gap to the garage and the other runs to the shed across a 5metre gap. Both wires are at about 2.3metres height and have a reinforcing wire attached. The wire running to the garage terminates in a double socket as does the one in the shed. From the double socket in the garage a plug takes a wire to the external light on the front of the garage and another plug takes a wire back out of the garage and back to the house to run a halogen security light.

The house was built in 1990 and the ccu has a rcd across all circuits.

What do people think about it and what action is needed, if any?
:?: :confused:

Sponsored Links
It is a lash-up.
RCDs are great for electrical safety but too many people use them as a license to do what they like. Please explain what the cables look like and also explain this enclosure please. I would rip the lot out and start again frankly. To start with I would give all of the outside stuff its own dedicated supply and go on from there. Cables used outside are meant to be able to stand ambient extremes of weather and temperatures. You need to be able to isolate the supply from the house and the also where the cable goes. Just putting it into a socket isnt acceptable. Then theres mechanical protection, Im not convinced about the catenary being used if thats what it is.

Theres a lot wrong with what you have at the moment and its good that you seek advice about it. What to do first. Plan it ! Work out what you want to happen...where you want power, where you want lighting, Interior and Exterior, any garden lights too. When thats done, you will be able to calculate load currents. Now you can work out what you need to buy.
How knowledgeable are you with Electrics may I ask? This is more than a job for a DIYer.

I don't have any real experience of electrics so I will advise here to call in an electrician (She probably won't!). The ccu has no more spaces for a new circuit so that clinches the need for a spark! The wires look like the normal internal ring main type - I think 2.5mm2. The support wires look OK but only 2.2m above ground. The 'enclosure' = metal terminal box (I think it's called that). I reckon the double socket in the shed is about 18metres from the outside terminal box and that is 10metres from the ccu - so 28metres, is this important?

What would a building surveyor say about the electrics? Would they be condemned?

That you for your reply.

METAL terminal box?????? OUTSIDE?????

thats a big no-no. metal boxes aren't water resistant in my experience. Open it up and see if theres a rubber gasket or similar. If not, take a picture and we might be able to advise.

A surveyor would probably advise a full electrical inspection, seeing this, and the house would need "remedial work" doing to pass an electrican inspection - this means removing the lot and starting again. As ban said, its a typical DIY lash-up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chaps

That has decided it is a job for a spark, in the mean time I'll unplug it.

:D

A few words of advice. Be prepared for a rather hefty bill for fixing this.

Your spark will want to renew the cables with armoured, and provide a proper means of supplying everything, probably a new circuit from the CU in the house, but he might use a fused spur from the ring main, depending on the supply and the numbers involved for your installation.

He may also want to put the cables underground, which you could do yourself, and allow him to see the depth and do the connection work.

If he leaves them overhead, he might want it a bit higher, possibly by fixing a scaffold pole or similar to the shed and garage.

Get 3 electricians to quote and ask their opinion and ask what they will do to remedy the situation.

She has the money but would like new windows, nothing wrong with the ones there already, just two of the double glazing units misted, easy to change. The real issues are those electrics and 20 conifers 1.5 metres from the house. the conifers are starting to make themselves felt on the drains and structure. She doesn't want them out because they provide security! A persuasion job is necessary, although by rights there shouldn't be a need.

I bet the electrics work is coverred by part P and everything goes through the books, ouch!

Appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back