advice on existing extension foundations please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Been a very long time since I have been on here. Great to see its still a thriving community.

I'm in the process of buying my next house - a detached bungalow with a room in the loft, that has undergone a single story flat-roofed extension.

I wish to replace/add to the single story extension by adding a pitched roof and connecting through to the existing habited roof space.

My question is - what is the best way of determining whether I can use the existing foundations/walls of the current single story extension and just 'add' the roof on, or whether I will have to demolish and re-dig deeper foundations?

My theory is single story foundations should bear the weight of a roof (ie bungalow) as opposed to needing double story foundations that would be overkill because I dont need two-stories and a roof?

Any advice much appreciated.

I should mention I haven't got the keys yet, I'm just trying to establish a plan of attack and this seems the initial and most obvious hurdle. Would save a lot of money if I don't need to knock down the existing 35m2 extension!

TIA, Deano

Sponsored Links
some excavation to see what the foundations are unless existing people know but even then would you trust the info.

Yes looks like a couple of pits to be dug. Unfortunately can't ask the chap that lived there, as he has passed away.

Would you happen to know if single story foundations are sufficient to support the roof as well, again depending on foundation width and depth. Or is there a guideline / table of regs that state what particular foundations will support what (based on soil types)?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back